translate

Sunday, April 2, 2017

the mandala spins

  


Dāna (दान)       
The child,
 hungry.
His tiny palm's
 creases black with dirt
 extends for my 20 rupees.
Exhausted...
Coffee: a 100 rupees

                   20 to 100, rupees reflecting my fears: 
How much do I give?

The mandala spins.

The man without legs, hands in anjali
Eyes rolled back and chanting
on shredded blue baby blanket
His presence in my path asks:
What are doing with your healthy legs?

The mandala spins.

A sari is carefully lifted,
Red toenails in heels
step over the curbside pile 
awaiting a match:
instant coffee cups
Banana peels, wilted marigolds,
a muddy coconut cookie wrapper.
Plastic burns 
Incenses too.

The mandala spins.

Fresh pomegranate juice pours
The young Nepali boys 
Pretending not to stare,
my white skin sips-
The illusion of hope?

The mandala spins 




   




    










       

No comments:

Post a Comment